Destruction



My love was doomed from the start.  She only ever loved one thing.  I remember sitting under the stars at the ripe old age of fifteen staring up at the universe.  She filled my ears with facts and her dreams of the future.  My arm was touching her and to me it felt hotter than the sun.  I was conscious of every breath of wind that played with her hair.  When we kissed even though she was looking at me it felt like she was looking at the stars in my eyes.

Credit to Molly Mccauslar at https://mollinda.deviantart.com/
We grew apart.  I couldn’t handle being second place and she let me go.  There was somewhere she needed to be.  I became entranced with the building blocks of the universe.  My studies took me inside what made us what we are.  I never expected our paths to cross again.  I didn’t expect this.

The request from Exocom was simple.  They needed humans capable of surviving long deep space voyages.  Humans as they are now are simply too big and expensive.  Spacecraft are more expensive the larger they are multiplied over the light years to be travelled.  It just made more sense to engineer smaller astronauts.  Their request was primarily for a retrovirus to shrink their astronauts, but they also wanted things like a clear extra eyelid, darker skin and infertility.  All of these aspects logical for deep space exploration but monstrous from an outsider’s point of view.  I drew the line on infertility.  If it ever got out of containment it would decimate the species but for the rest of it as long as their subjects were willing I really couldn’t care less.

I never expected to see her.  On day one of the human trials in she walked.  She was so excited her cheeks were flushed pink.  She was more beautiful in that moment than I remembered.  She was a woman now and so close to fulfilling her dream that every fiber of her being practically oozed joy.  If the trial was successful she’d be flying to Alpha Centauri before the year was out.  I had no doubt my virus would work but looking at this living breathing part of my past my chest began to hurt.  As I walked up to her bed a flash of recognition passed her eyes. 

“Benjamin?” she asked.  “Ellie.” I replied in acknowledgement.  She looked down in sadness and guilt.  I casually rolled up her sleeve so that it rested above her shoulder and wiped the injection site with alcohol.  I filled the syringe with the virus and turned back to her.  “Please answer the following questions truthfully.” I said.  “This virus has been created to: shrink you to half your current size, give you a clear false eyelid and darken your skin.  Do you agree to these changes?”  In a soft voice whilst examining her hands she said, “Yes.”  My voice caught briefly before I continued, “This is a virus.  This is no injection that will violently change your DNA.  We don’t know exactly how the transformation process will occur.  It’s highly likely to be very painful.  Know all the risks do you still agree to this trial?”  Again, she said, “Yes.”

I slammed my fist into the wall startling her to lift her head and look at me.  “Damnit Ellie!  If you agree to this I don’t even know if you’ll be you anymore.  I made this exactly how they asked me.  I had no idea I’d be giving it to you!”  She reached up and cupped my face in her hand.  “Listen Ben.”  She said, “I know you don’t understand.  I know you’ve never understood and I suppose I don’t really either, but I don’t belong here.  I’ve never felt like I’ve belonged here.  Something is forever pulling me up and this is my last chance.  If I don’t do this now my life will end up empty.”  I stared into those eyes and again felt like they were looking somewhere far away.  Somewhere I could never reach.  In the end I don’t know if I did the injection because she wanted me to or if I simply wanted to destroy those eyes.

Destroy them it did.  Moments after the injection she started screaming.  The virus was literally eating half of her mass.  As I watched from the observation window it looked as though her body were slowly disintegrating.  He skin was melting.  The waste byproducts pooling in a red mess on the floor.  By the third day we noticed her screaming had died down and it looked as though the virus was working as at the end of the bench we could start to make out her new feet.  Gone was the Irish porcelain skin of the past to be replaced by a dark almost ebony brown. 

By the fifth day it was over.  After noting that the virus had run its full course we dared to go in and wash her off.  What remained was still recognizably Ellie, but she was now tiny.  About the size of a five-year-old child.  As we were gently washing off the blood she opened her primary eyelids.  Underneath we could see the clear protective membrane operating perfectly.  A second later she opened those eyelids too.  My assistant looked at me with jubilation.  One of the major concerns we had originally had was if we gave the subjects the new eyelids would the brain be able to reprogram itself enough to learn to use them.  I tried to meet his enthusiasm, but my smile was forced.  I had destroyed one of the only things in this world I had truly treasured. 

Ellie didn’t talk until the day after.  She was sitting in her bed eating ice-cream looking very much like a child when I walked in.  The trauma of the past week was still showing clearly on her features.  Though her body was practically new her face looked tired.  “How are you?”  I asked.  She quickly glanced up her eyes full of weary accusation. “It hurt a lot.” She accused.  I sighed and said, “I warned you that it would hurt.”  She looked back down and said, “You did but deep down I didn’t really believe you could do that to me.”  My head snapped round, and I said, “I didn’t do this to you.  YOU asked me to do this.  Do you want me to play you the recording?”  She looked away and refused to answer.

After that day I delegated her visits to my assistant.  She was kinder to him and this way I didn’t have to see the results of my handiwork.  All the other patients transitioned in a similar way though none of the others tried to blame their decisions on me.  I submitted my results and was highly praised by Exocom.  I assumed I would be getting more work from them in future.
 
A year later I received a video call.  There was no tagline.  When I opened it up there she was floating in space.  She didn’t say a word but those eyes which had always been looking through me to something else seemed to bore right into me.  They were sad eyes.  Betrayed eyes.  They were the eyes of something I once loved and destroyed because I could never keep it.

Credit to Belinda Morris at www.belindaillustrates.com and www.facebook.com/belindaillustrates
 ::This is my entry for the #myillness challenge for the Writers Club amino.  Hope you liked it!::

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Moment

How to train your rival - Part 2